If you read the title you might think that this movie is about ghosts and daemons but this isn't the case. It's more a psychological home-invasion thriller, which is about child abuse and reminds a bit of Martyrs. This movie is very loud and has some predictable jump scares which aren't really scary. It's the story and the dark atmosphere, that makes the whole thing very effective. The incident in a ghostland is definitely a creepy, entertaining and watchable movie.
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
Pauline (Mylène Farmer) and her two daughters Beth and Vera (Crystal Reed and Anastasia Phillips) move into their new house, which they inherit from her aunt. During their ride, Beth reads an article about a series of house invasions in which parents are murdered but daughters are spared. What they do not know is, that they are being followed by a mysterious candy truck. Shortly after the family moved into their new house, a big mentally disabled man (Rob Archer) and a man who is dressed like a woman (Kevin Power) break into their house, kill Pauline and abuse her two daughters and keep them imprisoned in the basement. Beth doesn't want to admit it and lives in her own fantasy world, while her sister Vera tries to bring her back into the real world. After she manages to bring her sister back to the normal world, Beth realizes what is happening and tries to escape with her sister from this horror.
The director of Incident in a Ghostland is Pascal Laugier, who is also the writer of this movie. Furthermore, he worked on movies like Martyrs (2008) and The Tall Man (2012). The movie won the following 6 awards: Audience Award for the best feature film, Grand Prize for the best film, Syfy Jury Prize, Jury Prize for the best screenplay, and the Audience Award for the best film. It also was nominated for best editing in feature film, best cinematography in a motion picture, and best director.
• Did you know that the actress Taylor Hickson, who played the young Vera, had a really bad facial injury because she crashed through a glass door during the shot? After the filming Taylor Hickson sued the production company.
• Did you notice, that the fake final scene where the girls were found by the cops is a reference to the Texas Chain Saw Massacre from 1974?
• Mylene Farmer, who played Pauline, is also a singer. She worked together with Pascal Laugier on one of her music videos for the song "City of Love".
• Crystal Reed, who played the adult Beth, is also known for her role in the tv series Gotham as Sofia Falcone or Abby arcane in Swamp things.
• Incident in a Ghostland had a budget of $175 million and grossed around $384 million worldwide.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: