A classic monster horror movie with a very interesting story. Tension is built up with time but as the movie progresses it becomes very tough, there are few good shocker scenes but in this movie, it is more about story and dark environment. Monsters can in some moments look a bit low budget but it doesn't ruin the experience.
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
Location is the Carpathian Mountains in Romania, a team of archaeologists and biologists discover a huge network of unexplored caves under the remains of an abandoned convent. The biologists believe they have found an undisturbed eco-system. They hire the world's best team of cave divers. The team leader is Jack (Cole Hauser), Tyler (Eddie Cibrian) is his brother and the best scout they have. Everyone is so excited that they start exploring the cave immediately. Shortly after they enter the cave, a landslide caused by the explosion when they opened the cave, blocks their way out and they become trapped inside. Looking for another exit from the cave they go deeper and deeper. Soon something starts to pick them off one by one and they realize that they are not alone. Since the cave was completely closed for so long a totally new eco-system has formed and produced a new species. Trapped inside the cave running and fighting for their lives explorers start to believe in a local legend that the church and the covenant were built to close and guard the entrance to the cave as a form of God's protective power. A legend says that Templar Knights entered the cave to fight demons with wings and they never came out. As the world's best cave explorers are already in the cave they know that there is no rescue team coming for them and that they have to find a way out on their own and survive the attacks of these demon looking monsters.
Director of The Cave (2005) movie is Bruce Hunt he is also known for his work on the Matrix trilogy, Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2010) and a few more movies. The Cave was his directorial debut and his first and last movie in 2016.
• Did you know that this movie was shot in Romania, where over 12.000 caves exist?
• For the underwater shots, a 750.000-gallon tank was created. Moreover, for those scenes, the actors had to spend 10-12 hours a day in a wetsuit.
• Did you notice the V.S.S.F. tattoo in the movie? It stands for "Verband Schweizerischer Sprengfachleute" which means "Swiss Society of Explosive Engineers"?
• The Descent, a similar movie which is also about monsters attacking people in a cave, was also released in 2005.
• This movie had a budget of $30 million and grossed $33 worldwide.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: