It Follows has a good and unique but thin story. It's not a mainstream horror movie where it's all about jump scares and blood. This movie shines as a psychological thriller and keeps your tension high with its atmosphere. It can be very disturbing and rousing and is definitely a good choice.
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
Jaime Height (Maika Monroe) is a 19-year-old student from Michigan. She meets a boy named Hugh (Jake Weary) in the cinema. While watching a movie, Hugh sees a mysterious woman who Jaime cannot see. He is terrified and leaves the cinema with Jaime. When they met again another day, they had sex in his car. Then he anesthetizes her with chloroform. After Jaime wakes up again, she is confined to a wheelchair and sees the panicked Hugh who explains to her that she is cursed now. She is now being persecuted by a being who can constantly change its form and if she is touched by this being, she dies. The only way to save herself is to pass on the curse by having sex with somebody. However, if one of these people dies, the curse jumps back to her. After the paranormal shape emerged in the form of a naked woman, Hugh escapes with Jaime in his car. He throws her at her front door and now has to fight this curse by herself. Her sister Kelly (Lili Sepe) and her friends Yara (Olivia Luccardi) and Paul (Keir Gilchrist), who has been with Jaime for a long time, are going to help her to fight against this paranormal being.
David Robert Mitchell is one man to handle everything. He directed, wrote the story and produced It follows. It follows was nominated 41 times and won a total of 25 awards, which is an indicator for the success of this movie.
• Did you know that the director of It Follows, David Robert Mitchell, got the idea for this film because he had bad nightmares where he was stalked by a paranormal being, walking slowly towards him?
• Did you know that the entire movie was shot in Michigan because of tax advantages?
• Have you noticed the theatre at the beginning of the movie? This is the historical Redford Theatre, where The Evil Dead premiered in 1981.
• In an interview, David Robert Mitchell said that the paranormal being could even get on a plane to pursue its victim and that neither a condom could stop the monster or the curse.
• One of the paranormal beings was played by Mike Lanier, who lives in Detroit and is 7'7 tall. He is also one-half of the world's tallest twins.
• It follows had a budget of only $2 million and grossed over $23 million worldwide.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: