Sinister is a great horror movie, which u can't define in one specific genre. It's more a small combination of a ghost, monster and serial killer movie, which makes it even more frightening. Ethan Hawke, who plays a crime writer, is really good in this movie and exudes credibility. This movie has a great line of sustaining tension, which deflates for a while and rises back up. It also has a few predictable jump scares, and even if it's predictable at times, it will scare you! Sinister is definitely a creepy and disturbing horror movie, which you should watch!
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
The Author Ellison Oswalt (Ethan Hawke), who is plagued by financial problems, moves with his family into a house where a whole family lost their lives in an unexplained way, which he did not tell his own family. Shortly after moving in, Ellison found a box in the attic full of mysterious films and a Super-8-Projector, which should help him for his researches for his new book about the crime that happened in this house before. The films include secret recordings of families with at least one child and how they are cruelly murdered, except for one of the child who always disappears. After Ellison found secret occult signs and a mysterious figure with a mask on every tape he asked a professor for help. He gets the information that the signs belong to a pagan cult that adores a demon named Bughuul (Nicholas King), who feeds on children's souls and ones you have seen Bughuul you can no longer escape from him...
The director of Sinister is Scott Derrickson, who is also known for Doctor Strange (2016), The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008) and The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005). He also wrote Sinister with C. Robert Cargill. This movie was nominated a total of 13 times and won three of its nominations like the Fangoria Chainsaw Award and the Fright Meter Award for the best score and the Golden Trailer Award for the best horror tv spot.
• Did you know that the actor Ethan Hawk, who played the author Ellison Oswalt, is in real life also an author and has published two novels?
• Did you know that the name of the demon Bughuul can be translated to Boogeyman?
• An incredible scene happened during the shooting of the movie, where the stunt coordinator botched the preparations for the scene where the family was hanged which resulted that the stuntmen were really hanged and choked, but fortunately no one was hurt or badly injured. After they found out, the stunt coordinator was immediately fired.
• C. Robert Cargill got the idea for this movie after having a nightmare from watching The Ring (2002).
• Sinister had a budget of only $3 million and grossed around $87 million, which underlines the great success of this movie.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: