If you love jump scares this could be the right movie for you! The Curse of La Llorona has a great folklore story, which is really creepy. The movie has a lot of jumps scares and continuous tension. However, the course of the movie is almost the same as other paranormal haunted house movies, which we have seen 1000 times. One of the bigger pluses is acting. Linda Cardellini and Raymond Cruz are both really good and the kids are also very excellent. The CGI is okay and not very special. We suggest: watch it alone or with your partner in the dark with some candlelight and don't forget to turn your volume up!
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
Mexico 1673, a woman names Llorona drowns both of her children to punish her unfaithful husband. After she realized what she did, she started crying and killed herself. Henceforth her mind wants to find other children to take the places of her two dead children. 1973 in Los Angeles, the social worker Anna Tate-Garcia (Linda Cardellini) is sent to Patricia Alvarez (Patricia Velasquez), whose children did not appear in school because she locked them up in a closet. The reason for this is that Patricia's hears a cry and is scared to free her children Carlos (Oliver Alexander) and Toma (Aiden Lewandowski) so they do not fall victim to La Llorona. Despite all efforts, she had to hand up her children, who were brought to a church facility because they suspected Patricia would abuse here children. After the children were taken away, they were chased and finally killed by La Llorona. When Patricia found out about it she worshiped La Llorona to bring her children back and to take Anna's children. From there the hunt of La Llorona begins...
Michael Chaves is the director of The Curse of La Llorona (2019) movie and he also worked on The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It.
• You can see Father Perez, played by Tony Amendola, who is also in the first Annabelle movie from 2014.
• Did you know that Raymond Cruz had his highest-paid role in this movie after he played minor roles in tv shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and so on?
• Linda Cardellini, who plays Anna, played also Velma in Scooby-Doo 1 and 2. In the movie, you can see her daughter Samantha watching the Scooby-Doo cartoon on tv.
• A theatre in Montreal was supposed to play Pokemon: Detective Pikachu, but instead The Curse of La Llorona was shown and the children fled crying from the theatre.
• This movie had a budget of $9 million and grossed $123 million worldwide and is also the lowest-grossing movie in The Conjuring Universe.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: