The Nun is a horror movie that has a very good and dark created visuals but it's full of predictable jump scares, which aren't really scary. There are a few moments, where it gets creepy but all in all it doesn't come close to James Wan masterpiece the conjuring. It seems like the main focus of this movie where the tons of jump scares and the dark environment so that the story comes up a little short. It's still solid for a movie night with your partner.
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
In 1952, two young Catholic nuns were attacked by an evil force at the Saint Cartha's monastery in Romania. After one of those two nuns fell victim to the evil force, the other nun, Sister Victoria (Charlotte Hope) took her own life after fleeing. Frenchie (Jonas Bloquet), who delivers supplies to the nuns, found the corps. When the Vatican found out about the incident, they sent Father Burke (Demián Bichir) and Sister Irene (Taissa Farmiga) to investigate the incident. Together they uncover dark secrets and fight against a demonic present named Valak, who we already know from The Conjuring 2.
The Nun (2018) movie is maybe the largest project for director Corin Hardy so far. He also directed The Hallow from 2015. The writers are Gary Dauberman and James Wan. The Nun was nominated a total of three times and won two of its nominations. It was nominated for the Fright Meter Award in the category for Best Costume Design, it won the Golden Trailer for the Best Horror Poster and won the HFCS Award for the Worst Film of the Year, which it definitively does not deserve from our point of view.
• Did you know that the whole movie was shot at the Corvin Castle, Sighisoara, and in Mogosoaia Palace in Romania?
• Have you noticed that The Nun is with 1h 33min playtime, the shortest movie in the Conjuring Franchise? While The Conjuring 2 is the longest movie with 2h 14min playtime.
• Two unrelated characters, but also very similar by their clairvoyant ability were played by two real-life sister Taissa Farmiga, who played Sister Irene, and Vera Farmiga, who brought us the character Lorraine Warren, who we can also see in other Conjuring franchise movies.
• The Stories of The Conjuring and The Conjuring 2 are based on real-life cases recorded in journals written by the Warrens, while the film story of The Nun is completely made by the filmmaker James Wan.
• The Nun had a budget of $22 million and grossed about $365 million worldwide. From all movies from The Conjuring Universe, The Nun was the most successful one in terms of profit, followed by The Conjuring 2 with $320 million and Annabelle: Creation with $306 million.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: