The Visit belongs to the found footage category and is a really good blend between comedy and horror. At first, it seems to be more amusing than scary but then a lot of creepy things happen, which make it entertaining. It's definitely watchable and better than other low budget movies.
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
The single mother Loretta Jamisson (Kathryn Hahn) wants to make a cruise with her new boyfriend Miguel (Jorge Cordova). Therefore, her 15-year-old daughter Rebecca (Olivia DeJonge) and her 13-year-old son Tyler (Ed Oxenbould) accept the invitation of their grandparents Marja Bella and Fredrick Spencer (Deanna Dunagan and Peter McRobbie), to spend one week on their country. 15 years ago Loretta had a fight with her parents because of her boyfriend, who is the father of the two children, and left her home. She also had broken off the contact and did not respond to their contact attempts till now. The two kids do not really know their grandparents and to change that Rebecca decided to make a documentary about them, which should also help her mother to reconnect with her parents. After the kids arrived at the secluded farmhouse, they understood each other immediately. But soon the children have to find out that something is wrong with their grandparents after they have set up strange rules for them, such as to not leave their room after 9.30 pm. The kids start to break the rules and get to know a very different side of their grandparents with a dark secret.
The director of The Visit, M. Night Shyamalan, is also known for other good movies like The Village, Split or Sixth Sense. He was also the writer of The Visit, After Earth, The Last Airbender, and many more. The Visit was nominated a total of 14 times and won only one of its nominations, which is the Fright Meter Award for the best-supporting actress, who received Deanna Dunagan the actor who played Nana.
• Did you know that The Visit has three different cuts, one that is pure comedy, the other one which is pure horror and the last one is something between both?
• Did you know that director M. Night Shyamalan used his fee from the movie After Earth (2013) to produce this film?
• This is the first movie from M. Night Shyamalan since The Village from 2004 to not receive Razzie nominations for worst picture, worst director, or worst screenplay.
• M. Night Shyamalan was so fascinated by Olivia DeJonge that she received the role of Becca immediately. You can see her also in other horror movies like Better Watch Out, Scare Campaign, and many more.
• The Visit had a low budget of only $5million and grossed around $105 million worldwide.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: