The Ward has the feel of a low-budget picture but is still quite well shot. This mysterious movie has some frightening shock-filled moments however it's not the best work from director John Carpenter but it's still watchable.
Synopsis - SPOILER ALERT
After burning down a farmhouse, Kristen (Amber Heard) is captured by the police in North Bend, Oregon in 1966. She is locked in the Psychiatric Hospital, where she is introduced to Dr. Gerald Stringer (Jared Harris), who will treat her during her stay. There she meets the four other inmates Sarah (Danielle Panabaker), Emily (Mamie Gummer), Iris (Lyndsy Fonseca) and Zoey (Laura-Leigh). After the experimental therapy of Dr. Gerald does not work, Kristen starts to see the ghost of a woman names Alice Leigh Hudson (Jillian Kramer), who also lived in this hospital. She was not very popular with her inmates. Therefore, Alice was killed by the others and now avenges herself and kills one patient after another. After Kristen is being chased by Alice, she runs to Dr. Stringer's office and sniffs around his desk. What she finds there, changes her whole perspective.
The director of The Ward is none other than John Carpenter. He also worked on movies like The Fog (1980) and many more good movies. Furthermore, he is known for the popular Halloween horror movies, which he brought to life. He also worked on small tv series episodes like the first episode of The Strangers or two episodes of the Simpsons. The writers of The Ward are Michael Rasmussen and Shawn Rasmussen. The Ward was not nominated a single time and therefore did not receive any award.
• Did you know that this was the first full-length feature film of John Carpenter since his movie Ghosts of Mars from 2001, which is also a type of horror movie?
• The Ward is John Carpenter's first feature movie, which was not shot in Panavision since the movie Dark Star where he made his directorial debut in 1974.
• Have you noticed that there are technically no victims in this movie?
• Did you know that all the actresses had to search online for dance moves which they had to learn for the dance scene in the movie?
• Have you recognized Amber Heard, who played the main character, Kristen? You can also see her in movies like Aquaman and Justice League, where she played the character, Mera. Furthermore, you can see her in many more movies like Magic Mike XXL, 3 Days to Kill, and so on.
• The Ward had a budget of $10 million and grossed a small amount of only $5.3 million worldwide. But do not let these numbers fool you, the movie is still watchable and definitively no trash.
If you like this movie, we recommend these: